Michigan State University- B.A. in Journalism: May 2010
Delta College- A.A. in Journalism: April 2007
Automotive News, General Assignments Reporter: May 2012- Present
- Covers a variety of topics within the automotive industry with an emphasis on breaking news. Stories include a look at automakers who use social enterprise networks to enhance employee communication; Jeep brand’s Twitter page being hacked; and month-long coverage of a General Motors trade secrets trial.
- Founded the publication’s Facebook fan page and helped overhaul social media strategy using Vine videos, Instagram and a visual-heavy approach to Twitter.
Waste and Recycling News, Reporting Intern: August 2011- May 2012
- Writes news and features for the national trade publication, which is owned and operated by Crain Communications in Detroit. Works include a piece about a debt-riddled waste-to-energy plant in Harrisburg, Pa. and a centerpiece examining former landfills and hazardous waste dumps that were converted into nature preserves.
Detroit News, Sports Stringer: August 2011- May 2012
- Compiled game statistics for high school sporting events and wrote game summaries.
Columbus Dispatch, Reporting Intern: May 2010- August 2010
- Wrote deadline stories for science and state news beats. Front page efforts included a breaking news piece about the birth of the city’s first sextuplets (six babies), a centerpiece about global warming’s role in the accelerated growth of plant life, and a feature about prominent local figures who threw out first pitches at baseball games.
Capital News Service, Correspondent: September 2009- December 2009
- Covered state government, politics and public policy for more than 20 newspapers and online news outlets, including The Michigan Citizen, Cadillac News and the Grand Rapids Business Journal. Reported on such issues as the impact of rising prescription drug costs on senior citizens, home foreclosure scams, and the pitfalls of cutting early childhood education programs.
Lansing State Journal, Reporting Intern: August 2008- January 2009
- Wrote a variety of news and feature stories on deadline, including pieces about MSU’s second female drum major and refugees relocating in Lansing.
Saginaw News, Reporting Intern: August 2006-January 2007 & April 2007-August 2007
- Covered school board and township meetings.
- Completed news and feature pieces on deadline, including stories about Bob Heft, the designer of the 50-star American flag, the history of Saginaw Township and weather spotters in Mid-Michigan.
Delta Collegiate (student newspaper), Opinion editor and staff writer: August 2005-April 2006 & January 2007-April 2007
- As opinion editor, wrote column for each issue, wrote feature stories and did page layout.
- As a staff writer, wrote news and feature stories.
- Comfortable using video equipment and editing content with Final Cut Pro.
- Can take photos and conduct interviews with a recording device to create multimedia slideshows.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and SoundSlides.
- Contributed to Waste & Recycling News’ breaking news package, “Ashen remains buried in landfill,” that won first place for spot or breaking news coverage in the Society of Professional Journalists’ Excellence in Journalism Awards in 2012. I interviewed several landfill operators about their thoughts on the remains of soldiers being dumped in landfills.
- Contributed to an investigation into Ohio lakes for an in-depth story, “Algae isn’t the only problem in lakes,” at the Columbus Dispatch that won first place in enterprise reporting in the Ohio Associated Press Contest in 2011. I took water samples at several lakes; took photos; interviewed people about their concerns about possible water contamination; and recorded observations.
- Co-winner of the $1,000 Bill Cote Scholarship, which is awarded to the top Capital News Service correspondents from the past year.
- Took third place in feature reporting at 2007 Michigan Community College Press Association competition with the piece “Strong Signals”, a story about Delta’s radio station.
- Won Delta College’s Margarett Timm English Award in 2007, which is given to an outstanding English graduate.